The Chinglish Gallery

There are so many things I love about China: food, culture, history, landscape, cityscapes.  But so far I've been only posting about serious things, so today (like everyday, honestly) is a wonderful day to talk about the one thing in China that never fails to make me smile (and snort sometimes).

In English, we call it "Chinglish."  Maybe there's a Chinese word for it - I don't know - but it basically just means that someone shoved some Chinese characters into Bing Translate and didn't bother to check if the English that came out actually made sense.

Sometimes it's just unfortunate spelling errors.

Sometimes you can figure out what they most likely were trying to say.

Sometimes you got nothin'.

Either way, it's super fun to see how two languages (Chinese and English, in this case) are so different that direct translation results in nothing less than pure shenanigans.  This post contains some of my absolute favorite examples of Chinglish that I've seen during my time here.  So laugh it up, English speakers, because next week it'll be the Mandarin speakers laughing at us about our Google Translate fails.

Enjoy!

















Soli Deo Gloria!

- Chrisi -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story Time: Prayers & Answers

Wuxi Adventures